Mozilla has released an update for Firefox 3.5.2. Previously we shared tutorial about how you can update Firefox to version 3.5.2. In this tutorial, i will assume that you have already installed Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2 and you want to upgrade it to version 3.5.3. In case you have Ubuntu’s version of Firefox (you haven’t upgraded in past) then you have to skip only one command in the steps below. The rest of the procedure is same for all versions.
Upgrade To Firefox 3.5.3
- Open Mozilla Firefox and check its current version by navigating to Help->About Mozilla Firefox
- Download Firefox 3.5.3 and save firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2 to your desktop. And close all windows of Firefox
- Now this is important step. If you have Firefox version 3.5.1, 3.5.2 or any other version 3.5.x installed on your system then use the command below. If you have already Ubuntu’s version of Firefox then skip the following command
- Right-click on firefox-3.5.3.tar.bz2 and choose Cut/Copy
- Go to your home directory by navigating to Places->Home and paste it there
- Open Terminal by navigating to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and paste the following command
- After the above command will be executed completely, restart Mozilla Firefox
- You can now check its version by again navigating to Help->About Mozilla Firefox.. Now it will be version 3.5.3
sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox && sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox && sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
The command above will downgrade your current version of Mozilla Firefox to the Ubuntu’s default Firefox version which is necessary for all those who have upgraded their Firefox for at least once in past. After you will execute the above command, you will notice that your Firefox will be restored to its default version i-e Firefox 3.0.8 in Ubuntu 9.04.
if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/firefox ]]; then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox; fi && if [[ -e ~/.mozilla ]]; then cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup; fi && sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt && rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2 && sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup && sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins && sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox && sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox